Trans Tasman Rivals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TTR Racing - Server Time
TTR Racing’s Facebook Page

Latest topics
» TCL Oceania Skinpack 84 - 90 by TLC Revival
Internet Setup Icon_minitime3/13/2023, 8:22 pm by TTR-Chrisrx

» DTM The Early Years by TCL Revival Team
Internet Setup Icon_minitime4/17/2020, 5:16 pm by Rot Teufel

» TCL ETCC - JTCC Skinpack by TCL Revival Team
Internet Setup Icon_minitime11/25/2019, 9:26 pm by David Paterson

» The New ORA
Internet Setup Icon_minitime10/6/2019, 4:05 pm by ORA-Ulee Deway

» BMW Evo Update 5
Internet Setup Icon_minitime7/16/2019, 8:47 pm by Rot Teufel

» Current (2016) TCL Downloads
Internet Setup Icon_minitime11/11/2018, 1:27 pm by sheriff77

» Racing for this year "2017" !!
Internet Setup Icon_minitime1/26/2018, 3:51 pm by Fez

» TCL BTCC Skinpack by TCL Revival Team
Internet Setup Icon_minitime11/7/2017, 9:25 pm by Rot Teufel

» rFactor 2 Mods (Feedback needed)
Internet Setup Icon_minitime9/11/2017, 11:14 pm by TTR-Chrisrx

» TCL on rf2
Internet Setup Icon_minitime9/5/2017, 10:26 pm by TTR-Chrisrx

Downloads
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Internet Setup

5 posters

Go down

Internet Setup Empty Internet Setup

Post by groupcaction 1/22/2012, 5:09 pm

Hi there guys... Just a question for anyone who comes across this... I'm about to move places & i'm going to get a new internet provider, thinking with TPG's ADSL2+ & i was wondering what setups you guys use to race online??

I really am a rookie when it comes to this sort of thing... My current setup is with Bigpond and i run a cable from my modem to my computer, with there ADSL service.

Is a wireless internet connection enough or do you guys use a cable setup??

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile

Brent.

Last edited by groupcaction on 1/22/2012, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cause i'm a rookie haha)
groupcaction
groupcaction

Back to top Go down

Internet Setup Empty Re: Internet Setup

Post by racer69 1/22/2012, 6:06 pm

groupcaction wrote:Is a wireless internet connection enough or do you guys use a cable setup??

I'm a newb too in this department, and am likely moving house in the next few months so will be going through the same thing as you are when it comes to a new internet connection, so its timely you bring this up Smile

From what i've picked up over time, Wireless is pretty bad when it comes to internet gaming, its too unreliable and is prone to alot of dropouts.
racer69
racer69
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TTR Benny 1/22/2012, 6:40 pm

When you say Wireless Brent do you mean an ADSL modem then hooking in via Wireless or a wireless 3G modem. If you need wireless 3G modem don't do it unless you really have to the ADSL connections are less prone to going down.

If you mean form Adsl modem then wireless to computer it works ok but there are more problems with drop outs phone calls if your house phones are 2.4ghz can cause issues

ADSL broadband coming in via phone or cable and a Netork cable connecting your computer this is the best option by far
TTR Benny
TTR Benny
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by groupcaction 1/22/2012, 10:27 pm

TTR Benny wrote:When you say Wireless Brent do you mean an ADSL modem then hooking in via Wireless or a wireless 3G modem. If you need wireless 3G modem don't do it unless you really have to the ADSL connections are less prone to going down.

If you mean form Adsl modem then wireless to computer it works ok but there are more problems with drop outs phone calls if your house phones are 2.4ghz can cause issues

ADSL broadband coming in via phone or cable and a Netork cable connecting your computer this is the best option by far

Haha you've lost my Benny.. sorry mate... I'll try explain what i'm trying to do...

My GF's place has a TPG internet provided service and she has a Netgear Router that sits on a desk & she uses her laptop tapping in on wireless...
I drill into that wireless on my iPhone when i'm there, the Router has 4 Ethernet plugs on the back of it, could i run a cable from the Router to the back of my computer??? Would that be a better connection??
groupcaction
groupcaction

Back to top Go down

Post by TTR Benny 1/22/2012, 10:39 pm

You best connection would be to run a network cable from one of those four ports to your computer is best by far. If you need to setup in another room and cable isn't possible you would need a wireless adaptor to put in your computer. There are a couple of options for them 1 USB plug and play sets up easy but you will be more prone to drop outs. Option 2 would be to put a pci wireless card in your computer still easy but involves opening the case and putting it in still 5 min job max

Hope haven't confused you to much
TTR Benny
TTR Benny
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shaynskyline 1/22/2012, 10:41 pm

Any cable is better than wireless imho.

If you wanted to connect her router to your pc then you would need to get a wireless card that you install inside your computer. Or you can get a little USB stick type reciever. But i wouldn't trust one of those for gaming. Especially when one drop in signal can d/c you from a race.

Far better to chuck in a cable to one of the ports on her router and then into your computer. Providing you have a Ethernet port on your machine. You can get a 20m cable if needs be. Or what ever length, its gotta be better than wireless.

shaynskyline

Back to top Go down

Post by shano 1/23/2012, 6:42 pm

yep agreed use ethernet cable into router and then into computer.. most good machines have ethernet built in anyways...... is only way... no wireless will end in tears...
shano
shano

Back to top Go down

Post by groupcaction 1/23/2012, 9:32 pm

Cheers for all your help guys, much appreciated!!! I should be all sweet when i move places, i checked the back off my comp and i have an ethernet port ready to rock!!

Hopefully i'll time the move where i don't miss a round
groupcaction
groupcaction

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down